1. The skinny jean - this is her daily uniform. I don't know how she can stand wearing them when it's 90 degrees when she gets out of school.
2. A cell phone - this one hasn't happened. Two of her close friends received brand new cell phones their first week of school. She gives me a daily update of who has gotten a cell phone when she gets in the car each day. I think my new line is going to be...Did you send them a congratulations card? I'm so tired of hearing about it.
3. Make-up - I caved on this one. I had planned to wait until 13, but I agreed to the use of clear mascara and some eye shadow. I figure I've got bigger fish to fry...see #2. Also, this is my new favorite mascara. $5 at the Wal-marts. I sent Tammy Faye a text to tell her about it.
4. Lockers - locker placement is important. She was hoping for a top locker on the 6th grade hall, but she got a bottom locker on the 7th grade hall. Learning to work the combination has been quite a task. Lawnmower Man gave her brief locker opening tutorial before she left for her a second day of school. Now she's helping others with all of her locker opening knowledge.
5. Football - any social opportunity is truly appreciated by the Lil'Nanny. As soon as she got home from school, she announced that she needed me to drop her off at the high school for the middle school game. I took her to the game and sat in my car in the parking lot. I would have attended the game, but I didn't have enough money to get in the game. I always forget that these things aren't free, and I don't usually carry cash. So, I dug around in my car and was able to scrape enough change for the Lil'Nanny to attend. I did have to borrow a quarter from a church member that I passed in the parking lot to get to $2 in change...classy, I know. Yesterday, she attended her first after school tailgate party. This is an after school program sponsored by the school on football game days. She had a great time.
6. The phone - our house phone rings non-stop. This is our first time to experience this because the Medium Nanny is not a phone talker at all. Lawnmower Man and I don't even move when the phone rings...what's the point, it's not for us.
7. The hair - it always comes back to the hair with this girl. She spends lots of time washing, conditioning, ironing, curling, braiding, brushing, and stressing over her hair. She got a cut with lots-o-layers a few weeks ago and she contemplated/researched/printed pictures for days before the big appointment. On most days, she is not completely happy with the state of her bangs.
Happy Middle School! The Medium Nanny leaves in just a few days for her second year of university. It was a year ago yesterday that I was experiencing The Great Sadness. Time flies!