Monday, February 01, 2010

Africa Trip, Part 9: Singing hymns on long bus rides

As some of you know, one of my favorite things to do is sing hymns on long car trips. Some of you know all too well:) I own a travel hymnal. Although, most of the classics are stored in my head.

Anyhoo, we lucked up on this trip because we had us a really cool worship singer songwriter girl named Mandi and she brought her ukulele. Yes, her watermelon ukulele. Mandi led us in some really great worship as we traveled along and she also sang her testimony song that she wrote and it was all kinds of awesome. She told me she didn't really know very many hymns because she had only been saved a couple years. But she knew the song Here I Am To Worship, and I will always think of Africa whenever I hear it.



Jesse led us in some hymns on the way to church. I tried to video our hymn singing but my camera was having issues. And I was thinking...I'm actually singing hymns on long bus rides in Africa.

And then Sunday afternoon, Christian music artist, Britt Nicole hopped on the bus and the singing continued. Yes, I don't just go on mission trips with regular people, I go on mission trips with music artists. I'm not down with what the cool kids are listening to these days, so Britt's music was all new to me but when I told the Lil'Nanny that I was going to Africa with someone named Britt Nicole she immediately said, "She sings: I Wanna Set the World on Fire and they play her on WAY FM." ummm okay...thanks for the 411. Britt is a genuine Christian girl from North Carolina and she knows every word to the hymn What a Day That Will Be and that just makes her good people.

You might want to go on over to iTunes and check out Britt. Here is her latest single (single is music industry talk for latest song) The Lost Get Found...




post signature

5 comments:

Erin said...

Love me some Britt Nicole!

Sumer said...

There'll be no sorrow there, no more burdens to bear, No more sickness, no pain, no more parting over there; And forever I will be with the One who died for me,
What a day, glorious day that will be.

What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see, And I look upon His face, The One who saved me by His grace; When He takes me by the hand And leads me through the Promised Land,What a day, glorious day that will be.

Singing that song after we left the Karamajongs...just no words for that really.

Ashley said...

Okay... so I saw on the VO Fan page that Britt Nicole was going to give her talk about being in Africa. And Brent asked me if she was there with you, and I said...NO she could not have been because I would have heard about THAT. Cool, really cool!

Tabby said...

You know those bus rides were some of the most precious times for me. I now have What a Day on my I-pod. It just isn't quite the same without Jesse leading it :-). Here I am to Worship will always take me back to Africa too!

Naomi said...

Well my son just came down stairs who is 11 and said, Britt Nicole.... I know her music!! Wow, I guess I am out of touch too, I thought it was just because we have been living in England for the last 5 years!!